A flat stomach is a dream of most men and women. Why not? Belly fat is always a source of shame, lack of self-confidence, and lack of flexibility when it comes to outfit choices. This is without mentioning yet that a fat stomach can also offer to certain risks to the health.
With these, it is just right for you to think about losing belly fat as soon as possible. Though this may not be easy for a lot of people, the goal of a flat stomach can be achieved given that you have patience, determination, and concentration. Read on and discover everything you need on how to lose belly fat for men and women to guide you towards successfully achieving this goal.
All About Belly Fat
It is very important for you to know a lot of things about belly fat before you begin your journey to get rid of it. Just so you know, there are different causes of belly fat other than improper eating and lack of exercise. Knowing the cause of the accumulation of your belly fat can be the key towards success in finally saying goodbye to the stomach bulge. Here are some of the known causes of belly fat:
In women, belly fat can be associated to menopause. This is true because after menopause occurs, fats in women are stored in different places of the body but usually around the tummy area.
Check out your relatives and see whether there are a good number of them who are heavier in the middle area. This can mean that you share the same genes that allow the body to store more fat in the stomach than any other area in the body.
A lot of people do not think that stress has something to do with belly fat. However, when a person is stressed, the body releases hormones called cortisol. This hormone causes the liver to make excess sugar, which makes you feel hungrier all the time. This will in turn make you eat more. Most of the calories that you eat during this time go straight to your stomach resulting to belly fat.
This condition can cause several gastrointestinal problems that will leave you bloated and gassy.
This is often a problem of older people. This is because as one gets older, the metabolism starts to slow down. This only means that the body burns calories not as fast and easy as compared to when the body is younger. This will then result to an extra storage of fat especially around the middle.
Late night eating
It is important that the food you eat is fully digested before you go to bed for the evening. Hence, if you eat within three hours prior to bedtime, there are chances of fat storage around the middle area.
Measuring Belly Fat
Knowing how much belly fat you have is easy. If you don’t believe what your eyes see in the middle area, get a tape measure and let it do its job. Place the tape measure around your stomach, just slightly above your hipbone. Make sure it fits snugly and doesn’t push into your skin.
For men, a waist measurement of 40 inches or up means an unhealthy concentration of belly fat. For women, the measurement is 35 inches above. If you meet these measurements, there are greater risks for problems of high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease. Hence, you must start your way towards getting a flatter stomach. However, falling below these measurements does not mean you need not give attention to your belly fat.
Ways to Lose Belly Fat
There are a lot of proven and tested ways to lose belly fat successfully. Usually, what you need to do is follow a healthy routine. Here are some of the simplest ways to lose belly fat today:
- Eat a healthy diet. Always make sure that you eat healthy foods such as vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lean proteins, and low-fat dairy products. Then, limit your intake of saturated fat that can be found in most meats and high fat dairy products.
- Follow portion sizes. Do not accumulate more and more calories in your body that it cannot burn anymore. It is a good idea to slim down portion sizes of your foods every time.
- Exercise daily. Go for physical activities such as aerobics, brisk walking, jogging, and other routines for strength and cardio training.
Exercises for Women
There are specific exercise programs that can help lose belly fat. However, take note that exercise routines on how to lose belly fat for women differ from routines that can be practiced by men. This is because most men will need exercises for not only a flatter stomach but also six-pack abs. Here are simple exercises that will help women tone their stomach:
- Crunches. This can be done by lying on your back with your knees bent while your hands stay at your sides. Raise your torso making sure that you tense the muscles in the stomach area while keeping your head aligned with your spine. Then, return to the starting point gradually. Repeat this as many times as you can go up to 20 counts. This is one of the simplest exercises for belly fat that can be done by anyone even at home.
- Twisting crunches. This is a variation of the above exercise. You simply do the same thing but when you go up you turn in a diagonal direction bringing your shoulder to the opposite knee. Do this alternately as many times as you can up to 20 counts.
- Touch your toes. Stand with your hands at the sides and spread your feet around a foot apart. Put your hands on the waist and bend down with your right hand touching your left toes while your left arm is being raised behind you. Repeat this alternately as many as 50 times if you can.
Workouts for Men
For those asking how to lose belly fat for men, here are some workouts on how to lose belly fat and get abs that they can follow:
- Floor cycling. This is a good exercise to lose lower belly fat as well as fat in the upper abdomen. To do this, lie down on your back and raise your knees bringing them near your chest. Keep your hand behind your head for support. Raise your upper body off the floor and then extend your right leg straight while keeping it six inches above the floor. Simultaneously, turn your upper body so that your right elbow touches your left knee. Do this in the opposite direction and continue finishing twelve rounds.
- Reverse crunches. Lie down on your back and raise your knees off the floor making your thighs perpendicular to the ground. Cross both your feet and the raise them towards the ceiling through lifting your buttocks slightly from the ground. Do at least twelve repetitions of this exercise. This is one of the best workouts to lose belly fat since it works in toning the lower abdomen.
Foods that Burn Belly Fat
It is true that exercises to reduce belly fat are among the best ways to defeat this problem. However, did you know that there are certain foods that burn belly fat? Here are some of the top food choices that help burn belly fat:
- Complex carbohydrates. Complex carbohydrates will help raise your metabolism and lower your insulin levels. This helps in avoiding the buildup of fat storage. Complex carbohydrates are best consumed during breakfast. Foods that you can include in this meal are whole grain cereals, oatmeal, low fat milk, and a fruit.
- Protein. Lean meats are longer to process in the digestive system. This means they keep the body feeling full for a longer period of time.
- Omega 3 fatty acids. Fatty fish such as salmon and tuna is a belly fat burning food because it helps in changing the levels of the hormone leptin in the body. This hormone alters the metabolism to promote working off calories instead of turning them into fat.
- Nuts. Nuts promote a healthy heart and add fiber to the body to help in proper digestion. Nuts you can add in your diet are macadamia nuts, peanuts, pine nuts, almonds, and the like.
Other fat burning foods are vegetables such as broccoli, asparagus, spinach, tomatoes, and mushrooms and fruits like apples, blueberries, mangoes, cherries, oranges, and pineapple. Olive oil, garlic, egg white, whey protein, and salads are also foods that fight belly fat.
But take note, all these foods are not your instant cure to belly fat. They simply work to help your digestive tract to aid in losing weight around the middle section. You are still required to follow a healthy diet and regular workout routine to ensure success in your goal.
Lose Belly Fat Diet Programs
There is no known specific diet program that can really help to magically cure belly fat. However, there are some diet guidelines you can follow to ensure your everyday diet will guide you through a flatter and healthier stomach. Here are a few things you have to keep in mind for the best way to lose belly fat for men and women:
- Get rid of soda, beer, and any other liquid drinks that are not plain water.
- Lower your sodium intake. Take note that sodium can contribute to belly fat as well as bloating. Hence, hold down the use of salt and also flavoring sauces.
- Eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. A good fat belly diet is always a healthy one that involves eating fresh foods.
- Lower your intake of calories. This will speed up the process of losing belly fat. Keep in mind that your daily intake must depend on your age, sex, body weight, and your activity level.
- Get rid of sugars in your diet. The body stores sugars as fat, which is stored highly in the mid section.
- Always couple this kind of diet with a regular exercise. Take note that dieting alone cannot help you get rid of the unwanted belly fat.
Belly Fat Creams
A lot of people are looking for the easiest way to lose belly fat. Most of the time, dieting and working out are not the answers to an easy fight against a fat stomach. One of the products available to help lose belly fat today is a belly fat cream. This kind of product claims to help reduce and melt belly fat.
Belly fat creams work to reduce the pores under the skin and finally shrink the fat cells. The cream is applied on the problem area regularly to ensure good results in the end. There are basically a lot of belly fat creams in the market these days. However, make sure you get one with caffeine as the main ingredient. Caffeine encourages the oxidation of the subcutaneous fat in the stomach.
However, always keep in mind that there is no belly fat cream yet that can work to fight belly fat. You still need to couple the use of the cream with proper diet and exercise for belly fat.
Lose Belly Fat in a Week
Do you need to lose that stubborn belly fat in as fast as one week? Whatever occasion that is that require you to have a flatter stomach, there are some ways you can do to find success in a fast battle against belly fat. Here’s how to lose belly fat in 1 week:
Daily Food Guidelines
Be strict about eating only 1,000 calories the most per day. Drink water as your source of fluid all throughout the day. For breakfast, choose two eggs on a thin slice of whole grain toast, small bowl of muesli with milk, a banana with yogurt, or three egg omelets with ham.
For lunch, choose chicken with fresh vegetables, small green leafy salad with smoked mackerel, meat and vegetable stew, or chicken with fresh vegetables. And for dinner, go for tomato soup or other thin soups, mackerel fillets, or roasted chicken. Make sure you keep all the portions small and eat thoughtfully and slowly.
Daily Exercise Plan
Strict exercising is very important in losing belly fat fast as this increases your daily calorie deficit and your metabolism, too. Here is a one-week exercising plan to help you on how to lose belly fat in a week:
- Monday. In the morning, perform a light cardio session for 30 minutes to raise metabolism. In the afternoon or evening, go for squats, calf raises, pushups, dips, and shoulder press. Perform three sets of all the routines.
- Tuesday. Warm up with 15 minutes of light cardio and then perform an intensive interval training session for 20 minutes. This can include sprint, running, swimming, cycling, skipping, and elliptical training.
- Wednesday. This can be a rest day from extensive routines. You can simply go for a long walk for 90 minutes or a jog for 30 minutes. Make sure to load yourself with a lot of protein to help in muscle recovery.
- Thursday. Perform a similar routine to what you did for Monday.
- Friday. Go for a longer cardio session. This includes 30 minutes of jogging, a minute of sprint, 2-5 minutes of recovery, and then sprint to finish. Go stretching afterwards.
- Saturday. This must involve core training such as calisthenics, dynamic stretching, yoga, and crunches. The total exercise time must be 45 minutes.
- Sunday. This is supposed to be a rest day, too. Go for a light walk or jog.
By closely following the daily diet and exercise plan, you are expected to succeed in losing weight in one week.
Tips to Hide Belly Fat
If, unfortunately, you happen to fail getting rid of belly fat in time, don’t worry. Here are some tips to help you hide belly fat:
- Do not wear clinging clothes. Fabric options for your clothes are woven cotton, linen, and synthetic.
- Dress in a monotone. Maintaining a one color palette for your overall outfit will create a lean and slimming line. Also, avoid wearing light-colored skirts and pants as they can draw attention to the midsection.
- Wear clothes that fit you exactly. A too big one will only add bulk to your stomach while a too small outfit will only accentuate your stomach.
- Wear skirts and pants that have a wide waistband. This will control the stomach and make it look smaller.
- Wear a shapewear to hide and control your stomach.
- Maintain a good posture all the time. Make sure you stand up straight as a slouching posture can only add up the bulk in your stomach.
Share your experiences with us in terms of how you lose belly fat successfully in the comments below!