Do you need to tighten your abdominal muscles the easy way? An abdominoplasty could be an answer to your problem. It is a surgical procedure that can successfully remove extra fat and sagging skin out of your abdominal area without having to diet and do workouts. But, how much does abdominoplasty cost? This question is often asked by a lot of people, especially because this procedure is known to be expensive. This article will give you an idea on the average cost of a tummy tuck.
Average Abdominoplasty Costs
There are various expenses involved in an abdominoplasty procedure. The average cost of abdominoplasty may range from $3,000 to $10,000. The type of tummy tuck procedure that must be performed can very well determine the price range of the procedure. For instance, a mini tummy tuck will cost less as compared to a traditional full tummy tuck. On the other hand, an extended tummy tuck can cost more than a traditional one. Here is a list of tummy tuck average prices in the U.S. depending on the kind of procedure:
- Complete tummy tuck ($8,500)
- Mini tummy tuck ($6,500)
- Extended tummy tuck ($6,500)
Factors Affecting The Price Of Abdominoplasty
If the tummy tuck procedure is on the more complex side, the abdominoplasty prices are expected to go higher. For instance, a complex restructuring of the muscles in large areas of the abdomen may mean more time and effort in the part of the surgeon and other people involved in the procedure. So, you have to pay more for the time of the surgeon and the longer use of the facility.
Another thing that can affect the pricing is the patient’s medical condition. If the patient has existing medical conditions that can affect the operation, the price can end up higher. Moreover, the skill and experience of the surgeon can also determine the cost of the procedure. Plastic surgeons who have earned a good reputation can charge more in exchange for a guarantee that they can do a good job out of the tummy tuck procedure. Newer surgeons who are still building their reputation usually charge lower.
Other things that may affect the cost of the procedure include the demographic area and the quality of the facility to be used. If abdominoplasty is combined with other procedures such as liposuction, thigh lift, or butt lift, the price can even go a little higher. For instance, a tummy tuck together with a liposuction may mean an additional $2,000 or more in the total cost.
The average cost of abdominoplasty quoted by various clinics usually includes the surgical procedure’s fee alone. There are various expenses involved in this procedure such as consultation, anesthesia, facility fee, and so much more. Check out these additional costs in detail:
- Consultation. The initial consultation is essential so that the surgeon can evaluate your health condition as well as the fat deposits in your abdomen. The usual charge of tummy tuck initial consultation starts from $50 to $500. However, some surgeons may offer the consultation for free. But, there can be additional testing that may be done in relation with the procedure such as blood work that you need to cover the cost yourself.
- Pre-operative care. This involves the hospitalization as well as other medical procedures that may be needed before surgery.
- Anesthesia. You must pay for the anesthesiologist’s fee, which can range from $500 to $700.
- Facility. The rental of the facilities used for the procedure can start from $700 to $1,000 depending on the length of time the surgery will be done and the quality of the facility.
- Post-operative care. Abdominoplasty recovery can take a long time. It takes months to a year before a patient is fully recovered from the operation. Hence, post-operative care expenses can increase from patient to patient. This involves pain medication and compression garments, not to mention yet the risk of side effects that must be given attention to if ever they happen.
You will know a rough estimate of how much the procedure will cost during the initial consultation. At this point, talk to the surgeon about the costs and make sure everything is involved in the estimate. Ask him other costs that are not included in the quote so you have knowledge as to how much the tummy tuck will actually cost you.
Getting discounts is usually not easy when undergoing abdominoplasty. However, in some cases, you can ask the surgeon to offer you discounted services in exchange for a testimonial or before and after photos that he can use for his advertisements.
As with most cosmetic procedures, abdominoplasty is usually not covered by insurance. However, there are some instances that this procedure may earn coverage. This is true in cases of hernia and the excessive spreading of anterior muscles. To be sure about this, talk to your insurance company prior to undergoing this procedure. In some cases, the insurance company can increase the cost of insurance, even without covering the procedure. This is true because insurance companies take into account the risk of side effects that you may encounter from surgery.
Have you undergone a tummy tuck procedure? Share with us how much your total expenses are.