A good breakfast is a healthy meal. Since it is the first meal of the day, the body depends on what we eat during breakfast to power up our system all throughout the day. Hence, a good breakfast must be a high protein one to invigorate the health and provide sufficient energy. This article will introduce you to high protein breakfast ideas that you can surely try at home.
A High Protein Diet
Why is a high protein meal necessary for breakfast? This is because a high protein meal can regulate the appetite, help burn fat, and boost metabolism. Hence, a high protein diet like this can be essential for weight loss aspirants, muscle builders, and active people. Some of the high protein breakfast foods that you can consider in your breakfast recipes include eggs, cottage cheese, oatmeal, and milk. Other high protein foods best for breakfast include high protein cereals, nut butters, protein shakes, and whole grain bread.
List of High Protein Breakfast Foods
Check out this list of high protein foods that can be considered for breakfast:
- Eggs. Eggs are traditionally part of almost every family’s breakfast. This tradition must not be replaced as eggs are packed with a lot of protein. There is an estimated 6.29 grams of protein in one whole egg. An egg white alone counts 3.6 grams of the overall protein in one whole egg.
- Breakfast meats. Bacon and sausage are good sources of protein for breakfast. A slice of turkey or pork bacon has two grams of protein while a sausage patty has four grams.
- Dairy products. An eight ounce glass of milk already has nine grams of protein, which makes milk a breakfast essential. Yogurt is another dairy product that can be a good source of protein. An eight ounce cup contains 14 grams of protein. Cottage cheese, on the other hand, has 16 grams of protein per one-half cup.
- Oatmeal. A cup of oatmeal has six grams of protein. To get more protein during breakfast, it is better to add a half cup of milk to the oatmeal instead of water for an additional four grams of protein.
- Soy. Vegetarians can take advantage of soy when getting protein for breakfast. One cup of soy milk has seven grams of protein while soy protein powders have 20 grams per scoop. Soy sausage, on the other hand, has five to 11 grams of protein per patty.
- Cereals. Some cereals in the market may be made from protein-rich plant-based ingredients like whole grains, almonds, and walnuts. A one cup serving of this kind of cereal may have as much as six grams of protein.
High Protein Breakfast Recipes
Here are some great breakfast recipes that you can enjoy at home from time to time. They can also serve as great high protein snacks.
Quick Breakfast Taco (13 grams)
- 2 corn tortillas
- 1 tbsp salsa
- 2 tbsps shredded cheddar cheese
- Put salsa and cheese on top of tortilla. Heat it in the microwave just until the cheese melts. This may take about 30 seconds.
- Get a small nonstick skillet and coat it with cooking spray. Heat it first over medium heat and then add the egg. Stir the egg for about 90 seconds or until the eggs are cooked. Divide the egg between the tacos.
Sausage Strata (17 grams)
- 1/2 pound turkey sausage
- 2 medium onions
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1 tsp salt
- ground pepper
- 6 cups country break
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese
- Coat a baking dish with cooking spray. Meanwhile, cook sausage over medium heat making sure you crumble it with a wooden spoon until lightly brown. Drain the sausage on paper towels. Cook the onions and bell pepper for about three to four minutes.
- Whisk eggs, salt, pepper, and milk in a large bowl.
- Get the prepared baking dish and spread the bread in it. Put in the sausage and the onion mixture, making sure they are evenly distributed over the bread. Then, brush with mustard and sprinkle with cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture onto the pan and cover it with a plastic wrap.
- Chill the pan in the refrigerator for two hours or overnight.
- Bake the strata in an oven preheated at 350 F until lightly browned. This can take 55 to 65 minutes.
Turkey Hash (28 grams)
- 2 tbsps. butter or margarine
- 1 onion
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 2 cups leftover stuffing
- 2 cups cooked turkey
- 1 cup cooked vegetables
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup cranberry sauce
- Melt margarine on medium heat in a nonstick skillet. Add the onion and cook it until brown. Stir in the other major ingredients including the stuffing, turkey, vegetables, and potatoes. Cook for about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve with cranberry sauce.
Other Easy High Protein Breakfast Ideas
If you need simple breakfast meals that are high in protein, consider this high protein foods list to start your day:
- A granola bar, apple, and a glass of milk
- A bowl of multigrain cereal in low fat milk plus lots of blueberries or strawberries
- Scrambled egg, fresh fruit salad, wheat roll, and a cup of milk
- A mini whole wheat bagel with a cream cheese spread along with a cup of yogurt and a peach
- A cup of yogurt mixed with fresh blueberries plus a whole wheat toast with fruit spread
Share with us your favorite high protein breakfast recipes.