The appetite suppressant is the modern day one-way ticket to a sexy body figure, or for those who are almost there already, but don’t know how to lose belly fat (the hardest part!). It became popular in curbing food cravings, which can’t be stopped by regular exercise and dieting alone. Changing the dieting landscape, appetite suppressants made weight loss programs an enjoyable ride. People no longer have to be hard on themselves in resisting delicious but weight gaining dishes. The supplement will naturally make them not want to eat even if they are standing before a buffet of delectable meals.
Sounds great, right? Appetite suppressants ideally serve people who want to lose weight but lack the strong will power to resist food cravings. Will it work for you? Read on.
What is an Appetite Suppressant?
It is a dietary supplement that aids weight loss by reducing your desire for food. An appetite suppressant actually works as a bulking agent that absorbs liquid in your stomach that swells up to make you feel fuller. Thus, altering metabolism and lowering your appetite for food.
There are 3 different types of appetite suppressants:
- natural appetite suppressants (can be taken from food sources)
- herbal appetite suppressants (can be taken from plant extracts)
- prescription appetite suppressants (come in the form of capsules and pills)
All of these appetite suppressants work to reduce food cravings.
Natural Appetite Suppressant
Nuts, fruits, and vegetables serve as a natural appetite suppressant. If you’re a first-timer in appetite suppressants, choosing natural sources in curbing your desire for food is the best appetite suppressant you can resort to. It is the safest and healthiest way to fight food cravings. Natural appetite suppressant can also be concocted to a delicious dish making the intake palatably enjoyable and satisfying. Green salads, apples, flaxseeds, and pine nuts are among the best sources of appetite suppressing nutrients. Natural appetite suppressants are usually high in fiber and protein contents that produce hunger reduction chemical hormones in the brain thus, naturally making one less hungry for food.
Here is a short list of foods that can act as a natural appetite suppressant:
- Green leafy vegetables. Vegetables are known to contain fiber, which is responsible in making you feel full longer for a period of time. Hence, it is always recommended that you eat a green salad of different vegetables if you are trying to control your appetite. A single bowl of salad consumed before a meal can already make you eat less during the main course. Some of the best green leafy vegetables you can take advantage of are spinach, cabbage, and lettuce.
- Apples. Apples are also packed with a lot of fiber, which make this fruit a good appetite suppressant. Plus, apples are dense fruits, which mean you take longer to finish an entire fruit. This kind of eating setup can trick your stomach that you have eaten more when in fact you really have not.
- Protein foods. Foods with protein are also ideal appetite suppressants. This is true because protein is absorbed by the body slowly. This means that you will feel full for a longer period of time. However, take note that not all protein-rich foods can work for you. The best choices are those that contain lean protein including fish, turkey, chicken, and skim milk.
- Nuts. Nuts such as almonds contain pinolenic acid that produces hunger-suppressing hormones in the body. You can take almonds as a snack or serve it with your other meals. Doing this will help you feel full quicker to control your urge to eat more.
- Oatmeal. Having oatmeal for breakfast can make you feel full all day. It is packed with dietary fiber, which is responsible for making you full for a longer period of time.
- Water. Water keeps your body from being dehydrated. If the body is dehydrated, it often sends signals of hunger. So if you keep hydrated all throughout the day, you can expect lesser chances of feeling hungry.
Herbal Appetite Suppressant
Falling between a natural and prescription appetite suppressant, the herbal appetite suppressant is sourced from natural plant extracts that can minimize food cravings and can have strong hunger controlling power in the body. Some herbal appetite suppressants require a doctor’s prescription. It is a common alternative for people who want to lose weight but don’t want to infuse chemical drugs in their body. One, however, can buy over-the-counter herbal appetite suppressants that are effective though less strong that those prescribed by doctors.
Some herbs that can work for appetite suppression include:
- Dandelion. This is known to help you control your cravings for sweet treats. Plus, this helps in flushing out toxins from your kidneys and even boosting your metabolism. Dandelion can be taken in tea or capsule form.
- Fennel. This is a great natural appetite suppressant as it can reduce the mucus and fat in the intestinal tract. Though commonly used as a spice, fennel can be purchased as a bagged tea for your consumption.
- Licorice. Licorice root in particular can reduce cravings for sweets because it regulates the blood sugar level. There are several ways to take licorice root such as tea, extract, and tincture made from dried root.
- Cinnamon. Cinnamon has positive effects on the insulin and blood sugar, which helps in reducing food cravings.
- Siberian ginseng. This can stabilize your blood sugar to help you reduce your food cravings. However, it is not recommended for people with high blood pressure as it has a stimulating effect on the body. Siberian ginseng can be purchased as tea, capsule, or tincture.
- Hoodia. This is one of the most popular herbal appetite suppressants these days. It has already proven its effectiveness and safety when it comes to appetite suppression.
- Other herbs. A lot of other herbs are ideal appetite suppressants. This includes stevia, green tea, and some herbs that are packed with fiber.
Prescription Appetite Suppressant
One can level up to a doctor prescribed appetite suppressant if a natural appetite suppressant fails to work on you. Prescription appetite suppressants usually come in the forms of a capsule, tablet pills, and a drink. It is quite stronger than natural appetite suppressants and may trigger some harmful effects on your body. That is why a doctor’s prescription is required before you can do the purchase. A prescription appetite suppressant is ideal for people with serious obesity condition and very strong appetite problem.
Here is a list of some of the most effective prescription appetite suppressants in the market:
- Phentermine. This is an oral prescription appetite suppressant, which is intended only for short-term use together with a weight loss program that includes exercise, dieting, and counseling. It is usually reserved for patients who are grossly overweight. Some side effects of Phentermine intake are high blood pressure, impotence, hives, insomnia, increased heart rate, intestinal problems, and restlessness. It is important to take note that Phentermine can cause alertness issues, which means you must get away from driving and other activities that may require alertness.
- Phendimetrazine. This pill can stimulate the central nervous system and also produce physiological effects in the body. This includes increases in blood pressure and heart rate as well as appetite suppression. Doctors prescribe this appetite suppressant for short term use only, usually up to 12 weeks only. Serious side effects associated with taking Phendimetrazine are allergic reaction, high blood pressure, hallucinations, confusions, and irregular heartbeat. More common side effects are restlessness, dizziness, insomnia, and headache.
- Sibutramine. This appetite suppressant targets the appetite control present in the brain. This must be taken with diet and exercise for best weight loss results. Taking Sibutramine may cause drowsiness, headache, heartburn, constipation, dry mouth, and weakness.
An appetite suppressant is a quick solution to food lovers who want to achieve a sexy body figure. One, however, must not solely rely on the supplement. Regular exercise and proper diet should still be observed while working your way out in shedding that heavy weight away.